The Triton Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) will meet Monday, Oct. 21, at 6 pm in the Newbury Elementary School Library. The SEPAC is open to parents, staff, and community members who have an interest in improving the understanding of students will special needs.
The business meeting will include officer elections and a discussion of SEPAC plans for the year.
Following the meeting, there will be a presentation, “Taking Care of Those Who Can’t Take Care of Themselves”, by Allan Knowles, an estate planning attorney, who specializes in special needs planning. This presentation will seek to address the steps you can take to ensure that your children are taken care of physically, emotionally and financially once you are gone. Some of the topics to be addressed are:
- General durable power of attorney for financial affairs
- Durable power of attorney for health care Control Disposition of your assets
- Naming an executor to carry out your wishes
- Drafting a letter of intent
- The importance of a will to prevent the state from controlling who gets your assets, and
- Care and beneficiary designations so that inheritance does not disqualify your child from state and federal benefits
If you cannot attend the meeting but are interested in being involved in the SEPAC, email SEPACtriton@gmail.com.